Your wedding dress is often seen as one of the most important dresses a girl will ever wear. It’s a symbol of your love and commitment to your partner, and it’s something you’ll treasure for years to come. We compiled a list of tips to keep your dress in the best possible condition prior to your wedding day, but also after.
Before the big day:
- Keep it in a safe place. Your wedding dress should be kept in a cool, dry place that is free from dust and direct sunlight. Avoid storing it in attics or basements, as these areas can be damp and humid. Buying a dust free bag can be beneficial to keep your dress in pristine condition.
- Try it on occasionally. It’s a good idea to try on your wedding dress every few months to ensure that it still fits properly and that any necessary alterations can be made in time without fear of rushing around too close to the day.
- Clean it carefully. If your dress gets dirty or stained before the wedding, it’s important to have it cleaned as soon as possible. If stored in a safe place this is less likely to be a problem. However if this does happen, make your you visit a professional who will know how to take care of your dress,
- Handle it with care. Your wedding dress is delicate and should be handled with care. Avoid using pins or anything that could snag or tear the fabric. If you have pets try and avoid the dress being somewhere they could access as their claws may damage the dress.
On the big day:
- Protect it from stains. To avoid stains on your dress, be sure to use a stain-resistant spray before getting dressed. This will increase the likelihood of any dirt washing away easier afterwards.
- Be careful with makeup and hair products. Be mindful of any hair and makeup products you use on your wedding day, as they can easily stain your dress. If you have hired a professional makeup artist they will have experience on keeping your dress free from make-up stains so listen to their advice.
- Use a bustle. Bustles work to keep long trains off the ground and can useful in outdoor based venues to keep your dress safe
- Have a designated dress handler. Ask someone to be responsible for your dress during the wedding, such as a bridesmaid or a family member. This person can help you with your dress throughout the day and ensure that it stays in good condition.
Some wedding venues with a large team of staff may have experienced dress fluffers on the day who can help but it’s always good to have a backup option if not.
After the big day:
- Store it properly. Similarly to before the big day your dress should be kept somewhere dry and safe to prevent damage caused to it over time
- Clean it professionally. As soon as possible after your wedding, have your dress professionally cleaned and preserved. Therefore any dirt or stains acquired on your wedding day are more likely to come out and prevent permanent staining.
- Handle it with care. Even after the wedding, your dress should be handled with care. Avoid using pins or anything that could snag or tear the fabric.
- Consider insurance. Consider getting your dress insured, in case of any accidental damage or loss.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your dress remains in pristine condition both before and after your big day. The dress is a big part of your wedding day and many brides like having a sentimental reminder of the day. Your dress will be a treasure to pass on to future generations and with proper care, it will be as beautiful as the day it was first worn.